bad performance

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 20 09:36:48 CST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 04:32:35PM +0100, Joeckel, Patrick wrote:
> Dear parallel-netCDF developers and -users,
>
> I recently finished a test implementation of
> parallel-netCDF in our Chemistry-Climate-Model
> using the recent version 1.0.3 of the library.
>
> Running it on an IBM Power6 system
>
> uname -a
> Linux p6012 2.6.16.60-0.42.7.1-ppc64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 3 12:20:42 CET
> 2009 ppc64 ppc64 ppc64 GNU/Linux
>
> on 64 CPUs (i.e. 2 nodes), I detected that our "classical" gathering
> on one CPU and output through the serial netCDF interface
> is - for a typical application - 4.5 times faster (wall clock for
> I/O output time step) than the parallel-netCDF implementation.
>
> I guess (I hope !) that I am doing something wrong and further that
> you can help me.
> I appreciate any suggestion and I am happy to provide more
> information that can help me to solve the problem.

Hi Patrick.

Can you send 'ncmpidump -h' or 'ncdump -h' of a typical dataset?

How is data decomposed across these 64 CPus? Do you write out entire
variables at a time, or faces, or sub-cubes?

Are you writing to GPFS, NFS, or some other file system?

This is linux... what MPI library are you using? IBM's PE or MPICH2,
or OpenMPI?

Thanks

Argonne National Lab, IL USA