failure running pnetcdf tests

Robert Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 8 22:44:27 CST 2007

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 06:11:27PM +0000, michael bane wrote:
> Folks
>
> I've just downloaded the pnetCDF tarball and attempted to install on my
> box with mpich2 and Intel compilers. When running
>         ~/src/parallel-netcdf-1.0.1/test/nf_test$ ./nf_test
> I get numerous errors immediately, starting with
>         *** Testing nfmpi_strerror ...
>         *** Testing nfmpi_open ...
>          0: MPI_File_open error = File does not exist, error stack:
>         ADIOI_UFS_OPEN(53): File tooth-fairy.nc does not exist
>          nfmpi_open of nonexistent file should    have returned system
>         error
>          0: MPI_File_open error = File does not exist, error stack:
>         ADIOI_UFS_OPEN(53): File test.nc does not exist
>          nfmpi_open: Can not open/create file
>          nfmpi_redef of read-only file should fail
>          0: MPI_File_open error = File does not exist, error stack:
>         ADIOI_UFS_OPEN(53): File test.nc does not exist
>          nfmpi_open: Can not open/create file
>          nfmpi_close: Not a netCDF id
>
>            ###            8  FAILURES TESTING nfmpi_open! ###
>
> I am at a lost as to what this errors mean or if I've misunderstood
> instructions so any tips welcome!

Well, we don't have much in the way of instructions.  There's a 'make
testing' target in the top-level makefile that does this stuff for
you, but what you need to do is first run 'nf_test -c' to create
test.nc, then run nf_test.  You'll still get the (expected) errors
about tooth-fairy.nc not existing.   Same goes for nc_test.

Now, if you are still getting more than the expected number of errors,
let us know and we'll dig deeper.