pnetcdf 0.8.8 release

Rob Ross rross at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 30 17:31:11 CDT 2003

Hello,

I've put up version 0.8.8.  Major changes include a big cleanup in the
test directory and fixes to the makefiles to address issues on the NEC and
AIX platforms.  Hopefully make; make install; make tests will just work
now.  A configure script is included, so you don't need to run autoconf.

I did not get to Tyce's fixes for the Fortran test yet.  This might end up
waiting until RobL and Jianwei work on this.  Probably matters less now
that John has some things working, but I still want to get it fixed.

I haven't tried an out-of-tree build lately, so I don't know if this is
working.  I will check that out soon and make sure it's still ok.

Rene -- any suggestions on getting the cross-compilation to work on your
system?  I've never tried to deal with this before.

I've also added notes for building on the Jazz linux cluster here using
the Intel compiler suite.  This looks good so far.  Will need more testing
though to make sure that everything is ok.  One thing to note is that I
get a slew of warnings out of the Intel compilers that look like issues
with the things I *added* to get rid of the warnings under the other
platforms!  Ack!

Thanks all,

Rob