NC_FILL (no plans to implement)

Jianwei Li jianwei at cheetah.cpdc.ece.nwu.edu
Tue Jul 22 15:12:27 CDT 2003

I think it's also a performance issue.
There may be some overhead using NC_FILL, depending on the density of
defined-value data in the file.

If pre-fill is performed when allocating the variables file space
and data is to be written later, NC_FILL is an obvious waist of
resources and I/O bandwidth.
Otherwise, it would be complecated for a multi-process program to
achieve this NC_FILL feature:)

Maybe we can implement it in the first approach as an optional feature
so that users have a chance if they really need to use it? Or we
can just go without it?

Jianwei