[mpich-discuss] [mpich2-dev] ask for help in mpich2

James Dinan dinan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 28 11:17:40 CST 2011

Hi Zony,

To reinforce what Jeff said, I also would strongly encourage you to
explore a solution on top of MPI before modifying the MPI
implementation.  There may be a solution that works within the space of
the MPI standard; this is desirable since it will be portable and easier
to maintain.

For example, one could imagine a client-server model where a group of
MPI processes remain active on server nodes and receive requests to
perform calculations from serial client applications.  Such requests
could be managed using sockets if the desire is to not use MPI at all in
the serial client code.  These workers could be launched as a part of
running the serial program, or they could be persistent.  If the latter,
an additional server process that interfaces between clients and workers
could partition resources and schedule computations to serve multiple
serial client codes.

MPI also provides the capability for dynamic connections that would
allow you to connect a serial MPI client program to an already running
group of MPI worker processes.  Forking processes from the sequential
program using something like MPI_Comm_spawn() could also be an option,
but, a word of caution on dynamic processes, this routine is not well
supported across all MPI implementations.  An additional option that you
might find interesting is Adaptive MPI
(http://charm.cs.uiuc.edu/research/ampi), which is developed by the
Charm++ group.

Best,