[mpich-discuss] [mpich2-dev] ask for help in mpich2

Jeff Hammond jhammond at alcf.anl.gov
Mon Nov 28 09:23:23 CST 2011

Hi Zony,

(mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov is the appropriate list for such messages.)

I strongly recommend that you work with your colleagues to learn to use MPI
the normal way.  Hacking MPICH2 to do non-standard-compliant things will
only lead to bigger problems for them later.

MPI is already an incredibly rich programming model and it is more than
sufficient for the vast majority of parallel applications.  I do not know
of a single application that cannot be implemented using MPI and the effort
required is usually rather modest.  Many application developers find that
they need to learn only a few (~10) MPI functions in order to parallelize
their code, even for the largest supercomputers in the world.

There are many books on parallel programming with MPI.  One you might
consider is by Peter Pacheco.  See also "Using MPI-1", which is written by
some of the developers of MPICH2.

Best,

Jeff

--