[mpich-discuss] how to work with server computers

Jayesh Krishna jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 28 11:15:46 CST 2011

Hi,
 You will have to read the EULA (End user license agreement) to know exactly how many processors is supported by your edition of Windows OS (For example a server and client version of the same OS supports different number of processors).
 You can find EULA for different versions of Windows OS at http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx .
 AFAIK, Ubuntu server and desktop editions differ in the default kernel configuration and the set of packages installed. You could (one may argue why) install packages on a desktop on a server and vice versa. There is no limitations on the number of processors supported by these editions (This link might be helpful - https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/preparing-to-install.html).

Regards,
Jayesh