[mpich-discuss] how to make the hosts files

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 11 00:39:53 CDT 2011

On 05/11/2011 12:30 AM, hyunduk kim wrote:
> I was trying to install mpich2. mpich2 was running with cpi file after
> the setup.
> before running the mpiexec, I made the machine file 'hosts" under the
> install directory as like /usr/local/mpich2/machine.
> (in my case, I use the multi-core 2 cpu and one cpu has 6 core)
> host1 slots=6
> host2 slots=6

The format is:

host1:6
host2:6

> and I started the test.
> #> mpiexec -n 12 -machinefile hosts ./cpi
> After run, I was received a error messages as following

If you use the -machinefile or -f option for the host file, the
HYDRA_HOST_FILE environment variable is ignored. Do you have the "hosts"
file in the current directory? Otherwise, you should use:

mpiexec -n 12 -machinefile /usr/local/mpich2/machine/hosts ./cpi

> [root at francium examples]# mpiexec -f machinefile -n 12 ./cpi
> [mpiexec at francium.kaist.ac.kr <mailto:mpiexec at francium.kaist.ac.kr>]
> HYDU_parse_hostfile (./utils/args/args.c:316): unable to open host file:
> machinefile

Do you have a file called "machinefile" in your current directory?