[mpich-discuss] Determining latency of MPI communication routines

James Dinan dinan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 14 10:39:06 CDT 2011

Hi Vaibhav,

Accurately benchmarking collective operations is tricky.  Throughput and
latency are often measured differently, so bandwidth numbers aren't
necessarily convertible into latency numbers.  This is because
collective operations issued one after another will overlap with one
another and effectively pipeline.  There have been several papers on
this topic that you might find helpful:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/7ygll9u0h02t8mth/
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.149.3571

Best,