[mpich-discuss] how can I be sure that the program is running via another computer

Nicolas Rosner nrosner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 07:27:00 CST 2011

Hi Banki,

> is there any way to show a message in the screen of *another computer* like "a part of program is running here"?

Yes, there is, but may I suggest that doing so might be overkill for
your purpose?

> actually I want to be sure that a part of program is running via another computer!!

Fair enough. But what if the other computer happened to be behind a
locked door, or across the ocean, or had no physical screen at all? In
distributed computing, you quickly realize how practical it is to have
remote results (or, in your case, proof of remote activity) delivered
right back to your local screen, rather than merely cause collateral
effects on the remote machines.

In fact, since this is so important, MPICH does a lot of work behind
the scenes to ensure each of your process' output (and errors, if any)
are collected, sent back, merged together and displayed as if they
were local output. (To avoid confusion, you can optionally ask mpiexec
to prepend the rank of each process to each locally printed line.)

Thus, all you need to do is have each process print something like
"This machine's hostname is %s", or anything similar that would
convince you it was running somewhere else. Try looking up
MPI_Get_processor_name, for instance.

Question: doesn't the cpi.c example do this already for you? It does
on Linux. No idea about Windows, though.

Hope this helps,

Nicolás