[mpich-discuss] MPI_Comm_Spawn and MPI_Open_port/MPI_Comm_accept/MPI_Comm_connect without using mpiexec and smpd

Eric Hui Eric.Hui at ggy.com
Thu Jun 23 10:19:26 CDT 2011

I just started to investigate the possibility of using MPI in our application on the Windows platform.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

I am trying to use both of the following techniques:
1.  MPI_Comm_Spawn
2. Client/server model using MPI_Open_port/MPI_Comm_accept/MPI_Comm_connect

I followed the example code here:
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpi/mpi-standard/mpi-report-2.0/node98.htm#Node98
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpi/mpi-standard/mpi-report-2.0/node106.htm
and  was able to get them working if I use mpiexec / smpd.  However, I want to start the executable without using mpiexec / smpd since we already have our own windows service application to deal with compute node resource allocation.

I already read through a lot of documentations, but couldn't find my answers to some of the basic problems that I am trying to solve:

1.  Base on the MPI 2.2 document section 8.8 here:
http://www.mpi-forum.org/docs/mpi-2.2/mpi22-report.pdf
It's not a requirement to use mpiexec / mpirun to start an MPI program.
Is there any example available for starting the MPI program without using mpiexec / mpirun?

2.  I found an example that allows debugging without the use of a process manager by setting environment variable in section 9.8 of this doc:
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/documentation/files/mpich2-1.3.2-windevguide.pdf
It noted that this cannot support MPI_Comm_Spawn.  Is that a technical limitation or there is a workaround?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Eric