[mpich-discuss] g95 and mpich2 on new i686 MacOS 10.6 machine

Robert Kerr Robert.Kerr at warwick.ac.uk
Fri May 28 03:49:55 CDT 2010

I am working to install Fortran 90 and mpich2 on my new
Apple MacBook Pro with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor running
MacOS 10.6 machine.  I am moving from the Suse-Linux world.

I have downloaded and installed the Xcode package from
Apple Developer Tools.

I have downloaded and installed the 10.6 version of fink.

I have gone to the website http://www.g95.org/
and downloaded the x86 OSX version.  The
executable worked immediately after I untarred it.

>From the error message from mpich2, this might not
be the version of Fortran 90 that will work with mpich2.

The question now is what mpich2 to download and
any modifications to make it work.

I have downloaded: mpich2-1.2.1p1

I run ./configure

ERROR: in c.txt at the end I get:configure: error: ****  Incompatible
Fortran and C Object File Types!  ****
F77 Object File Type produced by "gfortran  -O2" is : : Mach-O object i386.
 C  Object File Type produced by "gcc  -O2" is : : Mach-O 64-bit object
x86-64

>From what I can tell this is saying the fortran I got is for the i386
processor, which I assume is the old 32-bit processor, even though it
runs on my machine, which I assume is 64-bit.  But mpich2 needs a
C-compiler and the version I got through Xcode supplies a 64-bit version.

At what stage in this process have I made a mistake?

To get a reply do I need to login somewhere or is it sent to me?

Robert Kerr
Robert M. Kerr     email: Robert.Kerr at warwick.ac.uk
School of Engineering
University of Warwick