[mpich-discuss] open failed for root's mpd conf

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 17 17:20:42 CDT 2010

Oops, I omitted something important from that strace command.  It
should read like this instead:

-----8<-----
strace -f -e trace=file mpiexec echo foo 2>&1 | grep mpd.conf
-----8<-----

-Dave

On Mar 17, 2010, at 5:10 PM, Dave Goodell wrote:

> OK, I suppose that theory didn't pan out.
>
> You could try something like the following to see why the open for "/
> etc/mpd.conf" is failing, but you will need a setuid root version of
> strace:
>
> -----8<-----
> strace -f -e trace=file 2>&1 | grep mpd.conf
> -----8<-----
>
> I don't remember exactly how to get a proper setuid strace
> installation, although it may be as simple as "sudo chmod u+s /path/
> to/strace ; sudo chown root /path/to/strace".  Please be aware that
> allowing arbitrary users to execute setuid root strace is a *huge*
> local security hole.  So if this is a multi-user system then you
> should restrict execution to users in a trusted group and only mess
> around with this on a copy of the file.  See the strace man page if
> you want to go down this path.
>
> Or just run the mpd ring as your user.  I wouldn't personally
> recommend running something as fragile as mpd as root anyway, even
> though it is technically possible.
>
> Alternatively, ditch mpd altogether and try the hydra process
> manager: http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/Using_the_Hydra_Process_Manager
>
> It doesn't require setting up any daemons in the common case.
>
> -Dave
>
> On Mar 17, 2010, at 4:51 PM, rcx11 at yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Output of "strings /usr/bin/mpdroot | grep etc" yielded "/etc/
>> mpd.conf" Setting the environment variable failed. I made a symlink
>> to /etc/mpd.conf in /usr/etc/mpd.conf. This also failed.

>>> "${prefix}/etc/mpd.conf" normally) instead of
>>> "/etc/mpd.conf".  So I'm betting that you have a valid
>>> "/etc/mpd.conf" but mpdroot is looking for it in