[mpich-discuss] open failed for root's mpd conf

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 17 17:10:05 CDT 2010

OK, I suppose that theory didn't pan out.

You could try something like the following to see why the open for "/
etc/mpd.conf" is failing, but you will need a setuid root version of
strace:

-----8<-----
strace -f -e trace=file 2>&1 | grep mpd.conf
-----8<-----

I don't remember exactly how to get a proper setuid strace
installation, although it may be as simple as "sudo chmod u+s /path/to/
strace ; sudo chown root /path/to/strace".  Please be aware that
allowing arbitrary users to execute setuid root strace is a *huge*
local security hole.  So if this is a multi-user system then you
should restrict execution to users in a trusted group and only mess
around with this on a copy of the file.  See the strace man page if
you want to go down this path.

Or just run the mpd ring as your user.  I wouldn't personally
recommend running something as fragile as mpd as root anyway, even
though it is technically possible.

Alternatively, ditch mpd altogether and try the hydra process manager: http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/Using_the_Hydra_Process_Manager

It doesn't require setting up any daemons in the common case.

-Dave