[mpich-discuss] ubuntu install

Guido Vettoretti guido at atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca
Tue Feb 2 14:23:23 CST 2010

Hi,

I installed mpich2 under ubuntu using synaptic package manager and
everything went fine. The problem I'm getting is I can't mpiexec as a
regular user , only as root

I have an /etc/mpd.conf file set as chmod 600
I have a /home/user/.mpd.conf file
I have run mpd & as user and/or root
but I get this error:

/shared/bin/mpdroot: open failed for root's mpd conf filempdtrace (__init__ 1171): forked process failed; status=255

http://debianclusters.cs.uni.edu/index.php/MPICH:_Troubleshooting_the_MPD

I had to change a couple of things to get mpiexec to work as user:
    run mpd --daemon as root
    chown user\: /etc/mpd.conf
    chown user\: /tmp/mpd2.console_root
to get mpiexec to work.

This is not a good solution. Does anyone have a good explanation for
this behaviour. My user wants to user the root mpd , why?

Thanks
Guido