[mpich-discuss] CPI test fails under Fedora 10

peter_raeth at juno.com peter_raeth at juno.com
Fri Jun 19 06:43:07 CDT 2009

----- "peter raeth" <peter_raeth at juno.com> wrote:

> Tried mpicxx with a program that does not use MPI and that program
> runs fine. If I take the MPI cpi executable from the Fedora 9
> installation, that executable runs fine under Fedora 10. That file was
> built using mpicxx. If I build that same source using mpicxx under
> Fedora 10, the program builds fine but will not execute. It fails upon
> trying to run MPI_Init with an illegal instruction error.

"Illegal instruction" could be caused by incompatible binary, e.g. linking
32bit object file with 64bit MPICH2 libraries or running a 64bit binary on
a 32bit machine.

Thoughts like that have come to my mind too. But, this problem occurs even with a fresh MPICH2 build on Fedora 10. Is it possible for a 64-bit Fedora 10 to run on a 32-bit machine?  Someone earlier said that MPICH2 binaries are included with Fedora 10. Could there be some interference with that?  Will go back to be sure I have a 32-bit Fedora 10 and then check that for MPICH2 binaries before doing a fresh MPICH2 install.
Thanks,
Peter.