[mpich-discuss] CPI test fails under Fedora 10

peter_raeth at juno.com peter_raeth at juno.com
Fri Jun 19 06:38:08 CDT 2009

> Attached are five files. RPM files are from the Fedora 10 mpich2 rpm
> install. source files are from the Fedora 10 mpich2 source install as
> described in the installer's guide. The fedora9 file is from the Fedora
> 9 mpich2 source install (the version at that time, not the one currently
> posted).
>
> Tried mpicxx with a program that does not use MPI and that program runs
> fine. If I take the MPI cpi executable from the Fedora 9 installation,
> that executable runs fine under Fedora 10. That file was built using
> mpicxx. If I build that same source using mpicxx under Fedora 10, the
> program builds fine but will not execute. It fails upon trying to run
> MPI_Init with an illegal instruction error.
>
> Something I want to try is the Fedora 9 mpicxx resulting command line
> (from -show) in Fedora 10 since that line is different from the one
> Fedora 10 is using.

Is it possible that you might have overwritten some of the FC9 files
with an FC10 MPICH2 install? The error you are getting seems like the
library files belong to FC9; that's why when you run a program compiled
in FC9 works, but one that's compiled in FC10 doesn't.

An easy way to try this is to install from source into a different
directory (not /opt) and try it out from there.

  -- Pavan

The machine running Fedora 10 is a fresh install, as is MPICH2-1.1. There is nothing from the old Fedora 9 machine. Someone said that Fedora 10 has MPICH2 binaries. Could that be causing a problem if I do a fresh MPICH2 install?