[mpich-discuss] forrtl errors

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Oct 7 14:37:09 CDT 2008

Hi Christopher and list

A number of different problems can generate I/O errors in a parallel
environment.
Some that I came across with (there are certainly more):

1) Permissions on the target directory. (Can you read and write there?)
2) If you are running on separate hosts (a cluster or a "NOW"),
are you doing I?O to local disks/filesystems, or to a NFS mounted directory?
2.A) If local disks, are the presumed directories already created there,
and with the right permissions?
2.B) If NFS, is the export/mount mechanism operating properly?
3)  On which directory do your processes start in each execution host?
The same as in the host where you launch the mpiexec command or on a
different directory?
(See mpiexec -wdir option, assuming you are using the mpiexec that comes
with MPICH2.
There are other mpiexec commands, though.)
4) Code (Fortran code, I presume) that makes wrong assumptions about
file status,.
e.g. "open(fin,file='myfile',status=old)" but 'myfile' doesn't exist yet.

Witting a very simple MPI test program that where each process
opens/creates, writes, and closes,
a different file may help you sort this out.

Also, I wonder if your precompiled commercial applications are using the
same MPICH2 that
you configured, or some other MPI version.

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa

Gustavo J. Ponce Correa, PhD - Email: gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
P.O. Box 1000 [61 Route 9W] - Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA