[mpich-discuss] novice question

Mark Sale msale2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 26 15:51:01 CDT 2008

I'm working on a parallel/MPI Fortran application for windows (XP and/or Vista).  Runs fine on one machine with
mpiexec -n X a.exe
but I'm having trouble getting it to run on other hosts, e.g.,
mpiexe -n X -host slave11 a.exe
I get this:
Unable to connect to 'slave11:8676',
sock error: generic socket failure, error stack:
MPIDU_Sock_post_connect(1228): unable to connect to slave11 on port 8676, exhausted all endpoints (errno -1)
MPIDU_Sock_post_connect(1244): gethostbyname failed, No such host is known. (errno 11001)

First question - do I need Windows server (or server computer cluster) on the other machine?
Second - Do I need any of the mpich stuff on the other machine?
Third - does the MPICH library have a way to verify that other hosts are reachable?
I'm using Intel Fortran (version 9), with Visual Studio.

thanks
Mark