[mpich-discuss] novice question

Jayesh Krishna jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 26 16:09:58 CDT 2008

 Hi,
  To run your MPI program across multiple hosts use the "-machinefile"
option of mpiexec (See the window's developer's guide for more information
about the various options available with mpiexec. The guide is available
at
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/documentation/index.php?s=
docs).

(eg: mpiexec -n 2 -machinefile mf.txt a.exe)

  Please try providing the ip addresses of the machines in your
machinefile so that you don't have problems with the host name resolution.
Also make sure that the executable is available (or accessible) at both
the machines. If you are sharing the executable using the network mapped
drive, make sure that you map the drive using the "-map" option of mpiexec
(eg: mpiexec -n 2 -machinefile mf.txt -map
j:\\sharecompname\sharedFolderName j:\a.exe). Instead of sharing the
executable using the network shared folder you can also copy the
executable to both the machines.

>>> First question - do I need Windows server (or server computer cluster)
on the other machine?
	No (eg: You can run your MPI program across 2 WinXP machines)

>>> Second - Do I need any of the mpich stuff on the other machine?
	Yes, You need to install MPICH2 on all the machines which are part
of your MPI job.

>>> Third - does the MPICH library have a way to verify that other hosts
are reachable?
	You can check the status of the process manager, smpd, on each
machine using the "-status" option of smpd command (eg: "smpd -status
10.1.1.1")

 Let us know if you need further help.

Regards,
Jayesh