[mpich-discuss] MPICH2 mpiexec console window on XP?

Jayesh Krishna jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 14 16:59:31 CDT 2008

Hi,
 The new behaviour that you see is due to the support for "Singleton Init"
processes that was added in 1.0.7 (It is an expected behaviour). Currently
there is no way to "turn off" the feature.
 You can start an MPI process without the use of a process manager by
specifying the PMI environment variables by hand (After the PMI env
variables are set the MPI library uses the values provided and does not try
to connect to the existing process manager, smpd, using the job launcher,
mpiexec.).

########### PMI vars to be set for single process MPI jobs with no PM
###########
set PMI_ROOT_HOST=%COMPUTERNAME%

set PMI_ROOT_PORT=9222

set PMI_ROOT_LOCAL=1

set PMI_RANK=1

set PMI_SIZE=1

set PMI_KVS=mpich2

  Please note that you should unset the variables before running other MPI
jobs.
  We will fix our code in the next release so that users don't see the
console window of mpiexec when running their applications (GUI apps). For
now, please follow the instructions above to avoid automatic launching of
the job launcher.

(PS: This support allows a singleton init MPI process (MPI process started
without a job launcher)  to function as a normal MPI process. eg: Without
this support a singleton init MPI process cannot spawn other MPI processes
(MPI_Comm_spawn()).

Regards,
Jayesh

  _____