[MPICH] ch3:sctp configure broken

Brad Penoff penoff at cs.ubc.ca
Wed May 23 02:51:32 CDT 2007

hey Steve,

I've tried to answer below in-line.

brad

On Tue, 22 May 2007, Steve Kargl wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 06:53:16PM -0700, Brad Penoff wrote:
>>
>> I have been running mpich2-1.0.5p4 ch3:sctp on FreeBSD 6.1, 6.2, and 7.0
>> very recently (EuroPVM/MPI deadline) so I'm surprised it's failing.  I had
>> a few questions about your setup...
>>
>> 1) Just curious, but do you have SCTP-capable kernels?
>
> yes.

So I'm assuming "options SCTP" is in the kernel config?

>> 2) Which FreeBSD and which kernel are you using?
>
> FreeBSD-7.0 built from source on Friday a few hours
> before the gcc-4.2 import.  Hardware is 7 nodes
> that are all Tyan K8SR based amd64 systems.  See

I've sent an email to our FreeBSD colleagues so I'll get back to you on
this.  Just curious but where exactly do you obtain your source from?

> http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/hpc.html
>
> I just added node16, so some numbers at the URL don't
> add up correct.
>
>> 3) Do non-MPI/"normal" SCTP-based applications work?
>
> Haven't tried any other sctp apps.  Do you have a suggestion?

I could give you some but first see #5 below...

>> 4) What arguments did you supply to configure?
>
> None of the following work
>
> ./configure --with-device=ch3:sctp
> ./configure --with-device=ch3:sctp --prefix=/usr/local/mpich2
> ./configure --with-device=ch3:sctp --prefix=/usr/local/mpich2 --enable-fast
> ./configure --with-device=ch3:sctp --prefix=/usr/local/mpich2 --enable-fast \
>            --enable-shared
> ./configure --with-device=ch3:sctp --prefix=/usr/local/mpich2 --enable-fast \
>            --enable-shared  --enable-static
>
>> 5) Can you send me (off-list) your src/mpid/ch3/channels/sctp/config.log?
>
> See follow up email.

I saw your config.log and it can't seem to find libsctp.a or libsctp.so...
can you do a find on a your system to see if these exist?  The same can be
said about your netinet/sctp.h; these locations need to be pasted into
--with-sctp, --with-sctp-lib, and/or --with-sctp-include so that LDFLAGS
and CPPFLAGS can be set appropriately (or you can set them yourself).  Or
if these files don't exist on your system, we have another problem...

>> There is some help in the top-level README file; just search for ch3:sctp.
>> There are some stack-specific instructions on how to compile (and if you
>> followed them already, I don't mean to insult you).
>
> Read it.
>
> BTW, do you use bash?

Generally, yes, and come to think of it, I have when building ch3:sctp
almost exclusively.

brad