[MPICH] ch3:sctp configure broken

Brad Penoff penoff at cs.ubc.ca
Wed May 23 10:53:45 CDT 2007

hey Steve,

I learned what I think you're problem is...

I had seen in the config.log that you sent me that it couldn't find your
libsctp.  It used to be that all sctp_XXX() API calls were in a library
called libsctp for all platforms;  this is still the case for most OS's.

In recent FreeBSD 7 implementations, I've been told that these API calls
have snuck into libc itself.  On this end, we had explicitly built libsctp
previously, we so didn't see the problem building ch3:sctp.  For you
however, no libsctp will be a problem because unfortunately, the configure
script in its current state requires libsctp to exist, and sctp_recvmsg to
be a part of it.

So for now, the suggested solution is to make some ficticious libsctp.a
somewhere and have it be a soft-link to your libc.a assuming that...
find / -name libc.a | xargs nm | grep sctp_
...returns something.  Pass the location of your libsctp.a soft-link into
--with-sctp-lib (or just set the location yourself in your LDFLAGS) when
you run configure.

If...
find / -name libc.a | xargs nm | grep sctp_
...doesn't return anything, then we need to contact the FreeBSD 7
developers soon (I think the deadline for their final commit is
approaching soon).

On a semi-related note, can you let me know also if netinet/sctp.h exists
somewhere within your system's CPPFLAGS?

Thanks,
brad