[MPICH] Message types and slog2sdk, clog2print

Anthony Chan chan at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 6 00:21:22 CST 2007

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Jaremy Creechley wrote:

> Hello,
> Could anyone give me a pointer to where I mind find a list of message types
> used by MPI? More specifically I am trying to parse some information from
> clog2_print program. There are some lines of the output that I can't seem to
> find any documentation or clarifications on in the code:
> ts=0.000095 icomm=0 rank=0 thd=0 type=bare et=-10
> ts=0.000099 icomm=0 rank=0 thd=0 type=bare et=54
> ts=0.000099 icomm=0 rank=0 thd=0 type=bare et=55
>
> Is there a header file somewhere that could give me some information about
> the "et=-10" ?

AFAIK, the best way to understand CLOG2 is to read the simple java CLOG2
reader in slog2sdk/src/logformat/clog2 (the java code is much simpler than
the C code) if you want to know CLOG2 (No formal documentation on it yet)
I think eventID -10 is used by the MPE logging library to represent Event
MPE_Comm_init.

> I have tried to find documentation on the trace API used by
> slog2sdk, but most of what is listed on the MPE website is oriented more for
> end users.

Trace API is documented in slog2 draft document under
http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/perfvis/publications/index.htm
and
ftp://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/mpi/slog2/slog2-draft.pdf

Look at pages 22-42.  You may also want to see the reference
implementation in mpe2/src/slog2sdk/trace_sample.

A.Chan