[MPICH] Using MPI_COMM_SPAWN correctly

Hrant P. Hratchian hhratchi at indiana.edu
Tue Oct 24 23:27:16 CDT 2006

I'm a basic MPI user and I've built a set of code that uses MPI_COMM_SPAWN.
The way that the code runs the master process runs on only 1 process while
the slave processes use n processes.

I have a mpd.hosts file that includes three machines: node_1, node_2, and
node_3.  mpdtrace confirms that the loop has been established and runs over
all three machines.  To run the code I execute the following on node_1:

mpiexec -n 1 Prog_Master test.in >& test.mpilog &

Prog_Master spawns 4 processes using MPI_COMM_SPAWN.  Rather than spreading
the 4 spawned processes across the three machines listed in mpd.hosts (where
the loop is running), all 4 spawned processes run on node_1.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks in advance.
HPH

--