[MPICH] MPICH Fortran examples hang under OS X

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Tue Oct 24 18:38:20 CDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 05:48:06PM -0500, Geoff Jacobs wrote:
> David Gunter wrote:
> > I have built mpich2-1.0.4p1 for OS X (10.4.8) using gcc-4.2 with gfortran.
> >
> > The example Fortran pi codes will compile w/o error but hang when
> > mpiexec is launched.  There is no time-out or any other error messages.
> >
> > If I edit the .f or .f90 source files and remove the "read" statements ,
> > that is, hard-code a value of 'n', then the programs will run fine.
> >
> > Has this been seen anywhere else?
> Yes, I have observed this problem with gfortran and OpenMPI on a Debian
> system. It appears to be a compiler problem. Specifically, I believe
> stdio and stdout are not handled properly, as file I/O works fine.
>
> I had more pressing issues at the time I encountered this, so I didn't
> have time to work through it. Now, however, I do have the time (and the
> interest).
>
> > Unfortunately I have no Linux or
> > other Unix box to test mpich2 on at the moment.
> I would be happy to help test on my machine. I would also like to be
> kept informed (possibly off-list) on any progress you make and would
> happily reciprocate.

I would be interesting in your findings.  I run

node10:kargl[209] mpich2version
Version:           1.0.3
Device:            ch3:sock

on FreeBSD 6.1 with

node10:kargl[210] gfc --version
GNU Fortran 95 (GCC) 4.2.0 20060915 (experimental)

I'll also note that I routinely contribute and review patches
to gfortran.

--
Steve