[MPICH] MPICH Fortran examples hang under OS X

Geoff Jacobs gdjacobs at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 17:48:06 CDT 2006

David Gunter wrote:
> I have built mpich2-1.0.4p1 for OS X (10.4.8) using gcc-4.2 with gfortran.
>
> The example Fortran pi codes will compile w/o error but hang when
> mpiexec is launched.  There is no time-out or any other error messages.
>
> If I edit the .f or .f90 source files and remove the "read" statements ,
> that is, hard-code a value of 'n', then the programs will run fine.
>
> Has this been seen anywhere else?
Yes, I have observed this problem with gfortran and OpenMPI on a Debian
system. It appears to be a compiler problem. Specifically, I believe
stdio and stdout are not handled properly, as file I/O works fine.

I had more pressing issues at the time I encountered this, so I didn't
have time to work through it. Now, however, I do have the time (and the
interest).

> Unfortunately I have no Linux or
> other Unix box to test mpich2 on at the moment.
I would be happy to help test on my machine. I would also like to be
kept informed (possibly off-list) on any progress you make and would
happily reciprocate.

--
Geoffrey D. Jacobs

Go to the Chinese Restaurant,