[MPICH] MPICH2 ports and firewall issues - limit port range ?

Ralph M. Butler rbutler at mtsu.edu
Wed Jun 14 12:43:45 CDT 2006

> Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:26:59 +0200
> From: Martin Schwinzerl <martin.schwinzerl at stud.uni-graz.at>
> To: mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov
> Subject: Re: [MPICH] MPICH2 ports and firewall issues - limit port range ?
>
> Ralph M. Butler wrote:
>> Hi Martin:
>>
>> The MPICH_PORT_RANGE is the right way to go.  However, you are right that
>> mpdcheck does
>> not know about the notion of a port range.  So,  I would say if you
>> disabled the firewall and gotten
>> everything to work, i.e. mpds on multiple hosts, etc.), then you may just
>> want to re-enable the firewall,
>> set MPICH_PORT_RANGE, and try mpd directly.
>>
>> --ralph
>>

> Thank you for your quick reply !
>
> One of the problems I have is, that I'm not sure wheter the MPICH_PORT_RANGE
> variable is treated
> correctly (or better phrased : the way I would expect it), because of things
> like the following example :
>
> mas at thph037214:~> export MPICH_PORT_RANGE="8000..9000"
> mas at thph037214:~> mpd --echo &
> [1] 4986
> mas at thph037214:~> 1090
> 1090

Sorry I did not notice this the first time.  The format of the port range requires
a : instead of the .. you used.  mpd will use the MPICH_PORT_RANGE as a fall-back
position if other env vars are not present.  It does not valdiate the MPICH var
however.  Here is a demo of where I tried it:

sh-2.05b$ mpd -e
40892
sh-2.05b$ export MPICH_PORT_RANGE=8000..9000
sh-2.05b$ mpd -e
40895
sh-2.05b$ export MPICH_PORT_RANGE=8000:9000
sh-2.05b$ mpd -e
8000

--ralph