[MPICH] MPICH_PORT_RANGE open questions

Martin Schwinzerl martin.schwinzerl at stud.uni-graz.at
Wed Jul 5 08:50:09 CDT 2006

Dear all,

I've still problems / open questions regarding the usage of the
MPICH_PORT_RANGE variable
and would be very thankful if somebody here could help me :

As discussed earlier
(http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/web-mail-archive/lists/mpich-discuss/2006/06/msg00026.html),
I've so far not succeeded to limit the port range of mpd et al by
storing the desired port range into an env. variable
(cf example below)

my open questions :
----------------------------

Since Ralph Butler was able to demonstrate a working MPICH2 with the
MPICH_PORT_RANGE variable,
I would like to ask, if this was achieved using the developer version
from CVS, or the "public" version 1.0.3 ?

Is the MPICH_PORT_RANGE variable sensitive to other enviroment variables
(MPIEXEC_PORTRANGE ?)
so that there might be an interference ?

example :
----------------------------

mas at thph037214:~> export MPICH_PORT_RANGE=8100:8200
mas at thph037214:~> echo $MPICH_PORT_RANGE
8100:8200
mas at thph037214:~> mpd --echo &
[1] 31058
mas at thph037214:~> 1047
1047

mas at thph037214:~> mpdallexit
[1]+  Done                    mpd --echo

System information :

mpich2-1.0.3 , Compiled with Intel's icc 9.0 or gcc 4.x (aboves example
is reproducible with both of them), python 2.4.1,  network consists at
the moment
for testing purposes of two OpenSuSE 10.1 powered Pentium4 class computers.

Many thanks in advance !

 Best regards
 Martin