[MPICH] newbie: how to start slogging?

Anthony Chan chan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 21 18:12:52 CDT 2005

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Harry Mangalam wrote:

> Hi All,
> We've been working on some MPI'ed apps for a while and would like to start the
> slogging process so we can use the jumpstart family to profile and debug some
> of the itchier part of them.
>
> I've installed Zach's debs (including the mpe deb) and the MPI'ed apps run
> well even on my little thinkpad.
>
> I've modified the makefile to link with the relevant libs (-lmpe -llmpe -ltmpe
> -lampe) and the build process appears to work, but I can't figure out how to
> signal the apps to dump the slogs.

If you want to profile MPI calls and/or some user-defined MPE states, link
your apps with -llmpe -lmpe (The order is important) with mpicc
which will put -llmpe -lmpe in the correct order with respect to mpich2
library, check <mpich2-install-dir>/share/examples-logging/Makefile
for more examples.

After your mpi job is finished, a clog2 file will be created
at your working directory.  You can then "view" the clog2 file in
jumpshot.

> I've spent the greater part of a day reading docs and trying various hacks but
> can't figure this out.
> It appears that it should be automatic - but the apps don't leave a slog trail
> anywhere I've been able to tell.  Is there a switch in the build procedure or
> one to pass to the app itself that turns on the generation of the slogs?

There will be a linking switch in the mpicc in the next release of mpich2,
current and past mpich2 distributions does not have the convenient switch
yet.  Let me know if you still have problem.

A.Chan