[MPICH] mpich2 on G5

Rajeev Thakur thakur at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 13 13:23:24 CDT 2005

> I am using MPICH2 on a mac G5 for a fortran 90 code. I have 2
> different questions :
>
> - installing MPICH2 with gcc and xlf90 works on panther (10.3) but
> failed on tiger(10.4). I know xlf90 is not fully supported on tiger,
> but It seems to be related to the gcc version,  I am not sure about
> that. The mpich libraries are created but are not recognized as
> librariries when I try to use it. Does someone have any experience
> about that ?

We need a little more detail on what exacly is happening here. What do you
mean by libraries are created but not recognized?

> - I am using  a single computer with 2 cpu and 2 different aims.
> The first one  is to do preliminary tests for mpi before running on a
> cluster. Here I do not mind of the performances and I am
> using the mpd
> daemon as if I was working on two different computers, and it works
> fine.
> My second aim would be to perform "production" runs on my
> computer. Is
> there a way to take advantage of running on a bi-processor
> using MPICH.
> It is probably closer related to the code itself, but are
> there basics
> recommandations to install MPICH ? Should I better use
> gforker instead
> of mpd ? If someone use to run on a G5 or on a multi-processors
> computer in general, any advice would be welcome.

If you are running on a single dual processor machine, you can build MPICH2
for the shm device (shared memory) by using the configure option
--enable-device=ch3:shm. You can use either MPD or gforker as the process
manager; it doesn't matter. If you are using MPD, you can simply run it as
mpd &

Rajeev