[MPICH] Jumpshot question

Anthony Chan chan at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 6 11:21:46 CDT 2005

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Jim Lasc wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm making a multithreaded mpich2 program.
> Normally it is designed that it never finishes.
> A lot of threads have most of the time an outstanding blocking receive (I
> decided not to work with Irecv's).
>
> I want to do some profiling with Jumpshot, but I have to consider the
> following :
> 1) I can't write to the final log file as long as there are outstanding
> receives.
> 2) I have to call MPI_Finalize() to write to the log file...
>
> So I wonder if there is a way to write the logfile on a chosen time (with
> outstanding receives)?

There are couple things that is done by the profiled version of
MPI_Finalize() before calling the actual MPI_Finalize, i.e. PMPI_Finalize.
I think you can make your own version of MPI_Finalize that does not call
PMPI_Finalize by copying the MPI_Finalize() defined in
mpich2-xxxx/src/mpe2/src/wrappers/src/log_mpi_core.c.

> Since, otherwise, I have to cancel all the threads with a receive I used
> (then they become zombies, and it can take some time before they are really
> cancelled, using w32-pthreads).
>
> Allso, does Jumpshot works well with multithreaded programs?

Haven't tried MPE2 with multithreaded programs myself.  Let us know how it
goes.

A.Chan