[MPICH] wmpiconfig error on windows mpich2-1.0.2: MPICH2 not installed or unable to query the host

David Ashton ashton at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jul 25 18:09:57 CDT 2005

Aaron,

I suspect the problem is with your firewall.  The way smpd works is that the
client connects to port 8676 and then another smpd.exe is launched in the
context of the client user.  The client then re-connects to this new smpd
process on another port.  Your firewall is probably blocking the second
connection attempt.  The easy solution to this is to not use a TCP firewall.

You will run into problems running an MPI application if you only allow
access to port 8676 and use the default socket channel.  Each MPI process
selects an OS determined port to listen on and these will be blocked by your
firewall.

You can restrict the ports that MPI applications use by specifying the
environment variable MPICH_PORT_RANGE=minport,maxport.  This will work for
smpd also but you will have to get the variable specified before the smpd
service is started by the system.  This probably can be done by setting
MPICH_PORT_RANGE in the system environment variables (make sure the range
includes 8676).

"smpd.exe -status host" is working for you because this mechanism does not
spawn a second smpd process and only needs access to port 8676.

-David Ashton