[MPICH] wmpiconfig error on windows mpich2-1.0.2: MPICH2 not installed or unable to query the host

Aaron Darling darling at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Jul 19 13:19:59 CDT 2005

Hi All,
I'm attempting to configure mpich2 on a group of windows machines.  We
have automatically deployed the mpich2 msi on several of the machines,
while on two of the machines we manually installed mpich2-1.0.2 so that
we could have the GUI components which deployed installations lack.

After deploying, we updated our firewall policies to enable access to
smpd.exe on port 8676 and running `telnet geb 8676` spits out something
like this to the screen:
C:\Program Files\MPICH2\bin>telnet geb 8676
1.0.2 19169
which I take as being able to successfully connect to the remote smpd.

I'm now trying to use wmpiconfig to configure the daemons.  When I
attempt to read the configuration from the remote host I get the
following message:
GEB: MPICH2 not installed or unable to query the host

However, smpd seems to think it's running on geb:

C:\Program Files\MPICH2\bin>smpd -status geb
smpd running on geb

geb is one of the machines on which mpich2-1.0.2-1 was manually
installed with GUI components.

If I connect to one of the machines that was automatically deployed
using mpich-1.0.1 I see:

C:\Program Files\MPICH2\bin>telnet khufu 8676
5436

but no version number.  Connecting using smpd -status fails:

C:\Program Files\MPICH2\bin>smpd -status khufu
Aborting: unable to connect to khufu

OK, so different versions of mpich won't talk to each other.  I can live
with that.

Why won't wmpiconfig work on my two manually installed mpich2-1.0.2-1 hosts?
Is it a problem that they are in different windows domains even though
they are on the same /24 subnet?

Can anybody give me a clue as to how I can debug the problem or what may
be wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help, hopefully I'm missing something obvious
to you guys!

-Aaron