[MOAB-dev] ghost exchange with triangles?

Ryan O'Kuinghttons ryan.okuinghttons at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 12 10:45:21 CST 2018

Hi Iulian,

After looking into this further I realize that the issue has nothing to
do with meshes composed of triangles, I do actually get the same issue
with quadrilaterals (my previous mail said that quads were working). In
fact, I even see the same issue with the last test case we were
debugging. The difference between now and then is that the previous test
case was only calling exchange_tags with the elem_coords tag (as a
minimal reproducer), which now works in both versions. Now I am seeing
that every other tag on this test mesh is not being updated by the
exchange_tags call, even though the debug code says that they are:

   1  ParallelComm(0.04 s) Unpacking tag GLOBAL_ID
   1  ParallelComm(0.04 s) Unpacking tag orig_pos
   1  ParallelComm(0.04 s) Unpacking tag owner
   1  ParallelComm(0.04 s) Done unpacking tags.

The only difference I can see between the elem_coords and the GLOBAL_ID
or owner tags is that elem_coords is initialized as a double, and the
others are integers. Is there some reason that a call like the following
would not work with exchange_tags?

int int_def_val = 0;

merr=moab_mesh->tag_get_handle(GLOBAL_ID_TAG_NAME, 1, MB_TYPE_INTEGER,
mbmp->gid_tag, MB_TAG_DENSE, &int_def_val);

Ryan