[MOAB-dev] GLOBAL_IDs, building map from moab mesh

Grindeanu, Iulian R. iulian at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 7 15:27:09 CST 2015

Global id approach should be fine.
how was somefile.vtk created?
Does it have global ids?

Can you give us an example of the bug?
Iulian

________________________________
From: moab-dev-bounces at mcs.anl.gov [moab-dev-bounces at mcs.anl.gov] on behalf of Nico Schlömer [nico.schloemer at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2015 3:13 PM
To: moab-dev at mcs.anl.gov
Subject: [MOAB-dev] GLOBAL_IDs, building map from moab mesh

Hi everyone,

To build a map for multi-process meshes, I need to be able to identify that node N on proc 0 is the same as node M on proc 1. For this, I'm using the GLOBAL_ID property. I know that this list isn't necessarily contiguous or 1-based, but that's fine.

I now bumped into a bug in serial execution. I noticed that the output of `mbconvert somefile.vtk somefile.h5m` generates GLOBAL_ID list full of 0s, as opposed to the nice list of 1, 2, 3,... as generated by `mbpart`. Apparently you're not supposed to rely on GLOBAL_ID after all? Is there a better approach that also works in serial?

Cheers,
Nico