[MOAB-dev] GLOBAL_IDs, building map from moab mesh

Nico Schlömer nico.schloemer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 15:13:30 CST 2015

Hi everyone,

To build a map for multi-process meshes, I need to be able to identify that
node N on proc 0 is the same as node M on proc 1. For this, I'm using the
GLOBAL_ID property. I know that this list isn't necessarily contiguous or
1-based, but that's fine.

I now bumped into a bug in serial execution. I noticed that the output of
`mbconvert somefile.vtk somefile.h5m` generates GLOBAL_ID list full of 0s,
as opposed to the nice list of 1, 2, 3,... as generated by `mbpart`.
Apparently you're not supposed to rely on GLOBAL_ID after all? Is there a
better approach that also works in serial?

Cheers,
Nico