[MOAB-dev] Geodesic mesh representation

Chris Eldred chris.eldred at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 17:20:49 CST 2013

Dear Moab-Dev,

I have a geodesic mesh (like MPAS or GCRM) and I was wondering what
the best way to represent the mesh in MOAB was. It is topologically 2D
but it is embedded in a 3D manifold (so vertex coordinates are x,y,z).
I was thinking that I would treat the mesh as 2D, feed in "bogus"
vertex coordinates and just use tags over the mesh elements to keep
track of the actual mesh coordinates. This way, I keep the 2D
topological structure (which is more important for my application
anyways). Is this a good approach?

Thanks,
Chris Eldred

--
Chris Eldred
DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellow
chris.eldred at gmail.com / celdred at atmos.colostate.edu