[MOAB-dev] MOAB and VTK configuration problems

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 6 09:55:46 CST 2013

On 02/06/2013 09:22 AM, Roman Putanowicz wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I reported problems with configuring MOAB with VTK.
>
> Well, I have installed latest ParaView version with
> vtkCommonCore library and all development files.
>
> However I still cannot force MOAB to configure properly with VTK.
>
> The first problem is with VTK_LIB_SUFFIX in configure.ac at line
> 768 -- it seems to be hard wired to some value and ignore command line
> settings. Removing it I can start configuration but then get the following
> errors:
>
> checking for /home/femdk/install/include/vtk/vtkUnstructuredGrid.h... yes
> checking for main in -lvtkCommonCore... no
> ./configure: line 36587: ac_cv_lib_vtkCommonCore=ac_cv_lib_vtkCommonCore:
> command not found
> checking for main in -lvtkCommonCore... (cached) no
> ./configure: line 36587: ac_cv_lib_vtkCommonCore=ac_cv_lib_vtkCommonCore:
> command not found
> checking for main in -lvtkCommonCore... (cached) no
> ./configure: line 36587: ac_cv_lib_vtkCommonCore=ac_cv_lib_vtkCommonCore:
> command not found
> checking for main in -lvtkCommonCore... (cached) no
> ./configure: line 36587: ac_cv_lib_vtkCommonCore=ac_cv_lib_vtkCommonCore:
> command not found
> checking for main in -lvtkCommonCore... (cached) no
> ./configure: line 36587: ac_cv_lib_vtkCommonCore=ac_cv_lib_vtkCommonCore:
> command not found
> configure: error: VTK libraries not found

Drat.  The one I tested was based on VTK trunk, which may be the problem.

> My environment is :
> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.61
> automake (GNU automake) 1.10.1
>
> I have noticed that MOAB has also CMake configuration though I haven't tried
> it yet. My question is is the autotools base compilation supposed to work?
> BTW, without VTK MOAB compiles fine.

Autotools is the one that is always supposed to work.  CMake is "unsupported", but I'd welcome patches if anybody has
them to keep it working.  Note also that as of the commit that broke this for you, MOAB also now outputs a
MOABConfig.cmake, which can be used from CMake-based applications using find_package().  See the comments at the top of
MOABConfig.cmake (though I haven't yet figured out exactly how to get it to work right in vtk, so YMMV).

For you, Roman, are you trying to use MOAB's configure to sort out VTK options for compiling your application?  In this
case, you might have to hardwire something until I have time to figure out MOAB's configure stuff again, or revert
MOAB's configure.ac file back to before r5909.

- tim

> Regards,
>
> Roman

  phone (gvoice): (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr.