[MOAB-dev] Importing BC in moab directly from cubit mesh file

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jan 18 15:03:24 CST 2013

Hmm, good question.  TTYTT, I'm not familiar with how the BCs are stored in the .cub file, and I'm pretty sure that
they're not parsed out right now.  The blocks, sidesets, and nodesets are parsed out.  The format they have in the MOAB
database is described in the metadata_info document (in the doc subdirectory).  In brief, the entity set structure after
reading a .cub file reflects the geometric topology inclusion structure as it was in cubit.  That is, the
material/neumann/dirichlet sets in moab will contain geometric topology sets, which will contain the mesh owned by that
geometric topology in the original cubit model.

If you'd be interested in improving the .cub reader, I could describe the process (basically, reverse engineering what's
in the .cub file, using some of the classes in CGM that write the .cub file information).  It's not for the faint of
heart, but isn't impossible either.  In moab, the reader class is named Tqdcfr for a reason (Tim's quick 'n dirty cub
file reader).

- tim

On 01/18/2013 09:09 AM, MICHAEL CORTIS wrote:
> Dear Tim / Advisors,
>
> I am looking forward to import Boundary conditions from cubit into MOAB library, by loading directly cubit mesh file.
> But unfortunately, I can't grasp what is the tree of meshsets for, and which tags do carry these type of information.
>
> The only thing I've managed to do is to get nodeset from the Dirichlet Tag, blocks for the Material Tag and sidesets
> from the Neumann Tag.
>
> Now I wish to get displacements BC and maybe the constraints and forces.
> Also if it is possible, get the nodes assigned with Interfaces BC.
>
> Hope Tim or any one for the support group can help me about this,
>
> Kind regards
>
> Michael
> __
> _
> _*Michael Cortis*
> PhD Civil Engineering Student
>
> Infrastructure and Environment Department
> Rankine Building, Oakfield Avenue
> The University of Glasgow
> Glasgow, G12 8LT
>
> + /m.cortis.1 at research.gla.ac.uk <mailto:m.cortis.1 at research.gla.ac.uk>/
>
> (+44) 0755-308-6730
> ((+44) 0141-330-6001
> __

  phone (gvoice): (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr.