[MOAB-dev] Warnings in the code

Robert Maynard robert.maynard at kitware.com
Thu Dec 6 14:36:02 CST 2012

Clang provides -wEverything which unlike -wAll actually does turn on all
warnings. Now I personally don't recommend this not all the warnings are
applicable to library development ( ie warnings on unused methods ).

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Tim Tautges <tautges at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On 12/06/2012 01:55 PM, Vijay S. Mahadevan wrote:
>
>> Going forward, I'm going to get more militant (read almost-zero-tolerance)
>>> for warnings, at least from GCC builds.
>>>

>> Fantastic !
>>
>>  We'll still probably get many Intel
>>> warnings, since we don't have anybody building natively on that compiler
>>> set.
>>>

>> I build with the Intel compilers on several systems and I can take the
>> responsibility to fix the warnings that are produced there. I will
>> also configure a clang build to enforce rigorous standard compliance
>> for at least the important bits of the code.
>>

> Thanks, that will help a lot.  If you only make it partway through fixing
> the warnings, feel free to send a dump of the compile output to the list
> and we can divvy them up.
>
> - tim
>

>  Vijay
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Tim Tautges <tautges at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>    I just turned on extensive warning reporting in MOAB's gnu-based
>>> builds,
>>> and fixed a boatload of warnings in the code.  The ones that are left are
>>> either because I was uncertain about whether they showed bugs (mostly the
>>> ones in FBEngine) or because of C headers I didn't want to mess with
>>> right
>>> now (findpt and related ones).
>>>
>>> Those responsible for code having remaining warnings should look at them
>>> and
>>> figure out whether they're spurious or not, and get rid of them.  If
>>> you're
>>> uncertain about how to remove them, ask the list.
>>>
>>> Going forward, I'm going to get more militant (read
>>> almost-zero-tolerance)
>>> for warnings, at least from GCC builds. We'll still probably get many

--
Robert Maynard