[MOAB-dev] Representation of spectral meshes, opinions wanted

Iulian Grindeanu iulian at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 31 11:45:19 CDT 2012

Hello,
I think we need something like 4, because of parallel communication.
Moab parallel communication relies on ability to easily compute the skin of parts, and communicate the interface sets to affected processors. I think it can be done without associating the spectral points to edges and faces, but it is probably easier if that association is clear.

So the interface entities should have an easy way to access spectral points on them. At the same time, the solver might need spectral points in lexicographic order. We could reconstruct that list based on adjacency info, side numbering, etc, every time, but again, maybe it is easier to just cache that too.

Now, to associate spectral points to edges and faces (subentities), we would need to extend MBCN anyway. Right now, we cannot have variable number of nodes on an edge or a face. So it is not a walk in a park :(. We could maybe save some connectivity arrays up to a reasonable order (is 10 enough, or maybe the order could go even higher?)

Iulian