[MOAB-dev] Representation of spectral meshes, opinions wanted

Iulian Grindeanu iulian at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 31 12:07:45 CDT 2012

----- Original Message -----

| Hi all,

| We're now supporting with MOAB two different applications that use
| spectral meshes (Nek5000, an ANL CFD code, and

| HOMME, an SNL/NCAR climate code). As is usually the case, we not only
| have to represent these meshes in MOAB, but

| support meshes of those types in tools working on MOAB (viz,
| partitioning, etc). Spectral meshes are challenging

| because there are many ways to represent and order them, with
| applications typically using a lexicographic ordering and

| mesh-based tools preferring something more akin to higher-order
| element ordering.

| I've written the attached document that describes the problem, along
| with a few possible options for representation

| of these meshes. I'd welcome comments if you have them. Thanks.

| - tim

Hello,
There is another option, which is actually close to what we do now in Homme meshes: store the "finer" mesh, formed by spectral points, in a
very regular grid, on each "coarse" element. And maybe have a method to group the "finer elements" on each "coarse" (spectral ) element.

It is much more expensive for 3d (homme is basically 2d manifold), so maybe it is not worth mentioning. The only advantage to this (5th) option is that is probably the easiest in terms of development, and we could even use the existing visu tools. (actually, there is a visit plugin to display nek meshes directly, using this concept)

All other options will need some working on the visu side.

Iulian