[MOAB-dev] Representation of spectral meshes, opinions wanted

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 30 15:40:32 CDT 2012

Hi all,
   We're now supporting with MOAB two different applications that use spectral meshes (Nek5000, an ANL CFD code, and
HOMME, an SNL/NCAR climate code).  As is usually the case, we not only have to represent these meshes in MOAB, but
support meshes of those types in tools working on MOAB (viz, partitioning, etc).  Spectral meshes are challenging
because there are many ways to represent and order them, with applications typically using a lexicographic ordering and
mesh-based tools preferring something more akin to higher-order element ordering.
   I've written the attached document that describes the problem, along with a few possible options for representation
of these meshes.  I'd welcome comments if you have them.  Thanks.

  phone (gvoice): (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr.