[MOAB-dev] Questions about Tags and Topology

Christopher Mueller cmueller at asascience.com
Fri Feb 10 16:28:41 CST 2012

Hi Tim,

I've had a good deal of success this week and have been able to represent a couple of our simpler datasets in what seems to be a reasonable manner.  I have also come up with a few questions.

Tags:

 *   DataTypes – from what I can see, tags do not support a few of the numpy datatypes, namely: float32, int16, and int64.  Is this a constraint of the PyTAPS wrapper or the underlying iMesh/MOAB infrastructure?
 *   Tags-of-tags – Is this possible?  I've tried a couple of ways but can't seem to get it to go.

Topology:

 *   Is it possible to apply topology over entity sets?  One way I've found for dealing with time is to have a "temporal" EntitySet that has child EntitySets for each timestep.  This seems to work well, but I can't find a way of relating the various timesteps aside from the inherent indexing of the "temporal" EntitySet.  I hoped that it would be possible to do something like make a line_segment that related the timestep EntitySets, but that didn't seem to work.
 *   Edges from quadrilaterals:  After building a set of quadrilateral entities from an array of vertices, I was surprised that there were not edge entities generated as well.  Is there a method for doing this?  I realize I could generate the edges from the vertex array (perhaps after some reworking), but it seems to me that it might also be possible to get them from the quadrilaterals themselves.

Thanks in advance,
Chris