[MOAB-dev] Dense tag behavior

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 12 09:43:05 CDT 2011

Probably when the tag was created, it was not created with a default value.  This could be the case if the vtk reader
created it upon finding it in the file.

One way around this would be to create a tag of the proper name/data type/storage type/default value before reading the
vtk file; then the vtk reader will use that tag, and your quads will get the default value too.

The tris being set has to do with how storage for tags is allocated (based on sequences, the fundamental unit of storage
in MOAB).

- tim

On 05/12/2011 09:31 AM, Lorenzo Botti wrote:
> I'm noticing a strange behavior of dense tags.
>
> I'm reading a hybrid tets+prisms+tris (tris represent the boundary mesh) vtk mesh where I have an id (type int) associated to each cell in order to define boundary conditions.
> The ids are correctly represented in MOAB as a dense tag over the mesh elements.
>
> However If I build 2D internal faces (tris and quads) with get_adjacencies only tris obtain the dense tag (set by default to 0?) while quads are tag free.
>
> Does it work this way because no tags have been associated to quads?
>
> Thanks
> Lorenzo

          phone: (608) 263-8485      1500 Engineering Dr.