[MOAB-dev] Redundant -L/usr/lib causing problems

Jason Kraftcheck kraftche at cae.wisc.edu
Mon Mar 1 15:22:59 CST 2010

Jed Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 09:37:59 -0600, Jason Kraftcheck <kraftche at cae.wisc.edu> wrote:
>> Your configure line was:
>>
>> ../configure --prefix=/home/jed/usr/ --enable-debug --enable-shared \
>>  --enable-mbconvert --enable-mbsize --enable-mbtagprop --enable-mbzoltan \
>>  --enable-imesh=nofortran --with-hdf5=/usr --with-zoltan=/usr \
>>  --with-parmetis=/usr --with-netcdf=/usr --with-mpi=/usr \
>>  CC=mpicc CXX=mpicxx F77= FC= QTDIR=/opt/qt
>>
>> If you don't want /usr/lib to be in the list if link paths, then don't
>> specify default system directories to the configure arguments.  If the HDF5
>> and NetCDF libraries are in default search locations, you shouldn't need to
>> specify any option for them.  The configure script will automatically find
>> and use them.
>
> That's nice (though a bit nonstandard in that the user needs to be
> careful when to make MOAB guess and when to specify), but autoconf for
> zoltan and parmetis don't handle this properly:
>
>   configure: error: "yes/include : not a directory"
>
>   configure: WARNING: "Guessing '/usr/lib'"
>   configure: error: "yes: not a directory"
>
> I reran autoreconf -fi, I'll send you logs if you need.

After looking at this further, I think that this is not a bug.  The
--with-zoltan and --with-parmetis flags are available solely for the purpose
of specifying alternate locations in which to look for those libraries.  If
they are in the default search path then it should be sufficient to specify
*only* '--enable-mbzoltan'.