[MOAB-dev] Redundant -L/usr/lib causing problems

Jason Kraftcheck kraftche at cae.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 24 14:28:57 CST 2010

Jed Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:21:45 -0600, Jason Kraftcheck <kraftche at cae.wisc.edu> wrote:
>> It is not non-standard.
>
> Okay, well it's common, and CMake does the right thing with it.
>
>> The 'standard' (as in documented)
>
> Out of curiosity, where is this documentation?  The auto book doesn't
> seem to mention it.

I don't recall.  I can't seem to find it anywhere, so perhaps nowhere.
However, there are a few things in autoconf that hint at this:
 o LDFLAGS is listed in the autoconf manual as a user-specifiable variable
 o In the "external software" section of the autoconf manual, none of the
    examples include specifying the path via an value to the --with-* arg,
    nor is the possibility even mentioned
 o autoconf doesn't provide any kind of a combined macro for what would be
    a fairly common thing if it were the preferred behavior.
 o Specifying a single path value implies a possibly incorrect assumption
    that the software is installed with includedir=${prefix}/include and
    libdir=${prefix}/lib, or at least that includedir and libdir share some
    common path prefix.