[MOAB-dev] MOAB check for *x86* failed.

James Porter jvporter at wisc.edu
Fri Dec 18 14:28:54 CST 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 14:46 -0600, Jason Kraftcheck wrote:
> Maintaining an extra machine just for this probably isn't worth the hassle.

Yeah, that's more of a "if we have one lying around, we can use it"
thing. My machine, for instance, is 32-bit, but I'm also outside of the
ANL network, so I'd have to VPN in (or open up the slave communication
port on gnep). Setting VPN up might be easier than recompiling
everything as 32-bit, though.

> > (or possibly a 32-bit VM).
>
> A 32-bit chroot environment would probably be easier and more efficient
> (unless you think that using a 32-bit rather than 64-bit OS kernel will
> have a significant impact on test results.)  I've used the schroot
> utility for this in the past.  But a 32-bit build on a 64-bit machine is
> almost the same thing, and is a lot less hassle (assuming you can get
> dependencies to build 32-bit.)

I doubt a 64-bit kernel would affect test results, but I'd also jump at
the opportunity to test a "real" 32-bit system just for the sake of
thoroughness. The benefit of a VM is that I'm probably going to use VMs
for cross-OS testing (Windows, OS X), so we'd already have that stuff in
place.

- Jim