[MOAB-dev] MOAB check for *x86* failed.

Jason Kraftcheck kraftche at cae.wisc.edu
Thu Dec 17 14:46:52 CST 2009

On 12/17/2009 01:50 PM, James Porter wrote:
> We should definitely get an x86 build running on the buildbot.

./configure --enable-32bit ...

has always worked for me.  You will have to build HDF5 and other
dependencies for 32-bit, though.  Typically:
   configure CXXFLAGS="-m32 -O2 ..." CFLAGS="-m32 -O2 ..."
but for a particularly stuborn or poorly implemented configure script,
you might have to do:
   configure CXX="g++ -m32" CC="gcc -m32"

> Ideally,
> I'd like to see it run on a 32-bit machine

Maintaining an extra machine just for this probably isn't worth the hassle.

> (or possibly a 32-bit VM).

A 32-bit chroot environment would probably be easier and more efficient
(unless you think that using a 32-bit rather than 64-bit OS kernel will
have a significant impact on test results.)  I've used the schroot
utility for this in the past.  But a 32-bit build on a 64-bit machine is
almost the same thing, and is a lot less hassle (assuming you can get
dependencies to build 32-bit.)